Introduction to Literary and Cultural Studies
DozentIn: Dr. phil. Anja Höing, M.Ed.
Zeiten: Do. 10:15 - 11:45 (wöchentlich)
Beschreibung: This course is designed to introduce first semester students to the basics of literary and cultural studies and analysis, including research skills and reading strategies, as well as writing skills. Students will perform a variety of assignments and engage with a broad spectrum of texts in order to comprehend what it means to “do” literary and cultural studies. The pass/fail semester grade is based on your participation, your attendance of a tutorial, the writing projects, and a final, formal academic paper. Our specific aims include:
- to gather a portable toolbox of ideas that we can bring to texts (literary, filmic, televisual, etc.)
- to identify how formal qualities influence our understanding and interpretation of texts
- to utilize the library system and its online resources/databases
- to continually engage with the writing and researching process, and to master the basic framework that goes into the structure of a formal academic paper (incl. citations and bibliographic referencing according to the MLA Handbook guidelines)
- regular attendance & active participation
- periodic written assignments (incl. draft introduction)
- library tour "UB1" --> sign up on Stud.IP for "Einführungsveranstaltung: Grundständige Bibliotheksführung für die neueren Philologien (UB 1)", Stud.IP number 7.1)
- database introduction (UB 2) --> sign up on Stud.IP for "UB Datenbankschulung für Erstsemester Anglistik/Amerikanistik (UB 2 ANG)", Stud.IP number 7.3)
- a short academic paper at the end of the semester (details to be announced in class)
- attendance of a tutorial
The Introduction course is mandatory for ALL students. Come prepared and alert, and ready for conversation.
- You will find most course readings in the Stud.IP folder “Reader”. Additional material will be made available online. Check Stud-IP regularly for updates, announcements, and changes!
This course goes with a tutorial: "Übung (verpflichtend) zu Introduction to Literary and Cultural Studies (Höing)". Meeting time: Tuesdays, 12-2pm. You cannot sign into the tutorial yourself but will be signed in by your lecturer after the first session of the Introduction course.