English Literature and Culture: 1650-1780
DozentIn: Prof. Dr. phil. Thomas Kullmann
Zeiten: Fr. 08:30 - 10:00 (wöchentlich)
Beschreibung: This lecture course is intended to provide a survey of English literature and culture of the Restoration period and the Eighteenth Century. During this period fundamental changes occurred in the fields of politics, society, philosophy and literature, which turned England into the most advanced European nation, economically as well as politically. Texts to be discussed will include:
– John Milton, Paradise Lost;
– William Wycherly, The Country Wife;
– John Bunyan, The Pilgrim’s Progress;
– Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe,
– Jonathan Swift, Gulliver’s Travels;
– Samuel Richardson, Pamela;
– Henry Fielding, Tom Jones;
– James Thomson, The Seasons;
– Edward Young, Night Thoughts;
– Horace Walpole, The Castle of Otranto.
I recommend reading some of these texts as a preparation.
Registration through StudIP.