David Hare's Political Plays: The Drama of Contemporary British Politics.
Zeiten: Mi. 08:00 - 10:00 (wöchentlich)
Beschreibung: For students in all Master courses:
An in-depth study of D.H.`s plays with additional material on : Press, Anglican Church, Legal System, Labour Party, Privatization in Britain.
Sir David Hare (1947-) bases his “State of the Nation“ plays on interviews and painstaking research into political key institutions and events in British politics.
We will therefore first gather the factual information before we study the plays:
• Pravda (1985): A study of the corruption of newspaper ownership. The British press.
• Racing Demon (1990): Moral dilemmas in the Anglican Church.
• Murmuring Judges (1991): Intrigues in the English legal system.
• The Absence of War (1993): Politics and intrigues in the Labour Party.
• The Permanent Way (2003): Privatization of British Railways and the transport system.
• Stuff Happens ( 2004): The dubious premises on which the Iraq War was started and was fought.